Monday, August 01, 2005

Ellen

My sister was in her bed, a comforter pulled up to her chin, a ceiling fan whirring, the AC wafting in refrigerated air. It was a big bed, and her husband, Mark, was beside her, the two bathed in the blue glow of the TV, muffins in a tin. My sister was wearing a light robe made of white quilty stuff. It zipped up the front, the sort of garment I had only seen on my mother, although my mother's robes were faded and frayed. She had arrived at an age where she couldn’t throw anything away or buy new things. Her thinking was: “It’s good enough for me, because I’m old, and nothing matters when you’re old.” Also: “I’m afraid I’ll run out of money before I die, so I better not spend an extra cent.”

I looked at my sister’s profile. She was pretty. Her skin was scrubbed. Her skin looked red when it tanned. Her eyes were closing, but she was resisting sleep. I was wearing a cotton camisole and black tights, the outfit I go to the gym in and lounge around in. I peeled back the covers from my sister’s shoulder and snugged in beside her, my head on her pillow. Now we were three muffins, except I didn’t like what was on, CSI. Mark tossed me the remote. “Pick what you like.” I flipped to Touch of Evil, and for fifteen minutes we watched Orson Wells, Charlton Heston, and Janet Leigh scowl around noirishly. My sister and I hadn’t slept under the same roof for more than 40 years, but feeling the curve of her hips and breasts next to mine required no border crossing. We got that from our father. Our mother was sick from smoking. My sister was quitting cigarettes, and I was helping her cross the smokeless divide.

We went to a bookstore, and I bought her a copy of The Corrections. She put it in a cabinet beside her bed and didn’t start it while I was there. She said it was hard to concentrate while she was quitting. She worked on a jigsaw puzzle on the dining room table, a scene with lots of sail boats, identical looking masts and ropes and boaty-looking pieces, and the pieces all had the same shape. I helped her a little, though I couldn’t do it for long. She filled in crossword puzzles from the NY Times every day. She disliked the hot weather, but one night I asked her to walk with me around the development where she lives. That meant taking off her robe thing and putting on shorts and a shirt again, a process she almost never reverses once the robe is on. We looked at the townhouses, all rather similar. It was peaceful and the air smelled of honeysuckle, although the fragrance came from a tree we didn’t know the name of.

She put out lavender bath oil and Skin So Soft and said I could use her tub. “No ass but mine has touched it in 17 years.” I massaged her feet. She said she would see a chiropodist about pain in her metatarsals. We had manicures and pedicures. The woman who does my sister’s nails looked at us and said, “Sisters?” My sister said we were. The woman said, “Which one older?” My sister said she was. I thought my sister must really be giving this woman huge tips for her to ask that question. Ellen offered to treat me if I handed out the tips. I said I would, following her instructions. My sister was generous, like our father. There was a picture of our parents when they were young on her wall. She took it to Walmart to make a copy. She said it was the only time she went to Walmart. I told her to use witch hazel on her eyes when they were itchy. She bought a bottle and cotton pads.

We went to a mall to walk around in the air-conditioning. Before we got there, I said I didn’t want to shop, just walk. Ellen said okay, though she wanted to look at shoes in a department store. I said she should have told me ahead of time, so I could have brought a book and read while she looked. I calmed down and said she could do what she wanted. When we got inside the mall, I saw lots of things I wanted to buy, so the idea of not shopping flew out the window. She didn’t object, even though I was the one trying on clothes and asking people to hunt for things and write up the receipts and wrap stuff. The next time I came into her bed, she said, “You can put on anything but Touch of Evil.”

“I thought you liked it.”

“I didn’t.”

My sister is used to being the most competent person she knows. The one who takes care of problems, steps in to trouble shoot during emergencies, gets the job done. My sister is the older sister, the one my mother turns to. My sister was prepared to keep being the one my mother called on. “Just help me out,” she said. I showed her how to turn on the gas grill Mark used to cook his food and then I grilled us a steak and onions. By day fifteen, she had not lit a cigarette.

16 Comments:

At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie Stone, I liked your blog. Just out blog surfing looking for info on wood working for kids when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I found it. I would like to post your link on my "favorites" page for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about wood working for kids at the site above.

 
At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie Stone, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on shaker furniture wood working plans I ended up on your page. As your this post is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to post your link on my "favorites" page. Should you ever need
information about shaker furniture wood working plans, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie Stone, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on old wood working tools I ended up on your page. As your this post is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to post your link on my "favorites" page. Should you ever need
information about old wood working tools, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie Stone, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on beginner wood working projects I ended up on your page. As your this post is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to post your link on my "favorites" page. Should you ever need
information about beginner wood working projects, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie Stone, your blog is creative. Wow! As I was out blog surfing for detailed info on wood working for kids I found you rpage. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I did. If you would not mind, I would like to post your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need
it, there's lots of information on this site about wood working for kids.

 
At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie Stone, your blog is informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on wood working bench plan, I ended up on your page. Your this post shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future read, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this
site about wood working bench plan.

 
At 5:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post!

I did a search for gas mask and found this site. I have put together an ebook I have titled, "Huge Gas Pump Savings."

Dave
http://www.huge-gas-pump-savings.com/

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie Stone...Wow! While I was searching for info on easy wood working project I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for easy wood working project. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about easy wood working project.

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie Stone, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on free wood working catalog I somehow ended up on your page. As your this post is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about free wood working catalog, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger...Wow! While I was searching for info on wood working store I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for wood working store. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about wood working store.

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie Stone, you have a nice blog. Glad to see it. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on wood working shop layout when I found your page. Your site describing this post is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need information on wood working shop layout then drop by the site above and check it out.

 
At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Laurie Stone, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on free wood working I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for free wood working. Should the need ever arise where you need information on free wood working then drop by for a look.

 
At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie Stone, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on wood working store I somehow ended up on your page. As your this post is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about wood working store, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

 
At 3:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie Stone, I was just blog surfing and found you! Wow, I really like this one.
It’s such a pleasure to read your post …. Interesting! I was over at another site

looking at managing change

and they didn't go into as much detail as you, but nonetheless interesting.

 
At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, i was looking for some info on tv consumer electronics on blogger and i found your blog. First welldone to have made one on this topic. Could you just keep it more updated ?
Where else to go to get info on tv consumer electronics ?
Thanks
Klein

 

Post a Comment

<< Home